Friday, April 13, 2012

Some DeMeng Inspired Art


A week or so ago I blogged on ArtFest.   and I said to stay tuned for my pieces from Michael DeMengs class.

I had a lot of fun on this one, combining a lizard and a small doll and a guitar. The earring for a head piece was added towards the end. During the critique I mentioned how the first time I took a workshop from him at Art & Soul my pieces looked just like his and now I am branching out to combine his style with my sense of color and whimsey.

 Here we have a skull head with a dog body standing on a rubber stamp. The monopoly top hat was given to me as one one my trades and worked out perfect. It is attached to an old metal frame.


 One of the fun things I learned in class this time was how to create different hairstyles for the dolls using a heat gun. Here we have a lovely bouffant on the cat/girl. Two earrings make up the tiara. I brought some pages from an old novel and found the perfect words to fit the piece..."escaped again"
 Here's a piece I had started on before I went to Art Fest...

 ...and came together after Helen, who sat beside me in class and had come all the way from England gave me this little piece of real parchment from 1775. It had to be honored in some way and was the perfect fit for my little door! Helen was so sweet as my hand had cramped up so bad from squeezing some DAP that I couldn't move my finger and she massaged it out for me.

 This one still in the works
As well as this piece on Frogs....

6 comments:

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Really these are great fun! xJ

Lori Wostl said...

Delicious!Lori W at Art Camp for Women

Deirdra Doan said...

I like your guitar one. I made a guitar theme when I took from him too. You can search my blog using DeMeng for the search to see. He is so fun to take from!

lulu moonwood murakami said...

Lizard Girl is fabulous! Looks like you had a lot of fun and how great that you are able to make the art your own after learning his techniques!

Pam McKnight said...

Thanks Mad Bird, Lori, Deirdra and lk!

Clarissa Callesen said...

Love the skeleton poodle/dog.