Thursday, March 17, 2011

Art in the Mountains


A friend of mine from Texas (Marianne) saw my posts on Facebook about skiing this past week and she was exclaiming..."it's spring...why are you skiing?" My response was that since moving to Idaho I have learned that spring comes much later than in Texas. The first year I was here we skied on Cinco De Mayo! 


This past week I joined a group of 9 men and 4 women on a backcountry ski tour, oh did I mention, I don't back country ski and was on snow shoes...well anyway... we had a great time and I kept up fine, even breaking trail on the way back through 25 inches of new powder! 

Tea Time for One
4" x 6" water color/collage


While at the Yurt I broke out my travel art kit and set out a fine cup of tea 
after melting 9 buckets of snow. 

Through the Yurt Door
4" x 6" Watercolor

It was still overcast and snowing, so I sat by the Yurt door and painted the scene outside.

And a Fine Powder Day it Was
 4" X 6" Watercolor

As the day wore on and it got warmer and sunnier
 I moved outside and sketched the yurt and Brenda's skis. 


After going a little stir crazy I  decided to make a bad girlfriend for Smokey the Bear. 
This is Smokey the SnowBearette. 


The whole crew celebrating 2 birthdays, Mardi Gras and St. Patricks day all in one night 
and yes I have a real elk foot flask in my hand! 
What a great trip it was! 

No comments: