Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mola Art



8" X 8" square $30 each or 2 for $50.


These 2 pieces started when I found 2 miniature hand stitched mola's at a thrift store for five cents each! But I don't sew and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I also had two wooden frames that someone had started to decorate but then abandoned and they wound up at another thrift store. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, it was hard to find anything to fit in the square opening. Last weekend on my garage sale shopping I found the two handmade dolls, and started putting everything together. I have some small old tin cigar boxes and upon taking them apart at the hinges, they fit perfectly in the opening. I dyed them with some alcohol paints, glued them in the opening and put a mola in each one. I collaged and painted each frame and added other 3D elements I thought would go with the colors and theme.

No comments: