Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tuesday at the Studio



It had been a few weeks since I had hung out at the studio with Marianne and Nancy. We had fun catching up on each others lives, painting, doodling and sorting through the artist trading cards (ATC's) that Marianne is going to deliver to the newspapers for publicity for our next show.

Pictured above is what I painted last night. The cool carving was just plain unfinished wood I found at the Idaho Youth Ranch Thrift Store and the chest was also just plain wood but someone had marked each drawer with a sharpie in some bad lettering.

I painted and collaged the chest with a cut up brochure from one of my favorite museums- "The Cloisters" in New York City. It is the medieval branch of the Metropolitan but is situated way north of the main museum. I had visited it as a child on a field trip, and had always wanted to return as an adult. I finally got my chance 2 years ago when I attened my last National Art Ed Conference which was held in NYC. I hiked all the way up there in the snow. Pretty cool.

Next step is to finish the chest and then figure out how to attach the two pieces, it will then be able to either sit on a shelf or hang on the wall.

No comments: