Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Peace Be With You"




This is a piece I am entering in the Sun Valley Spiritual Film Festival. It is a juried silent auction and I won't know if it is accepted for at least another month.

The day before I read about the show I found this plastic Jesus at a thrift store and picked him up and said to Nancy "He should be good for something" I wanted my piece of art to reflect my thoughts or Rodney Kings thoughts "why can't we all just get along" A friend told me about a bumper sticker that read "Jesus, protect us from your followers" I looked it up and it has already been widely used as well as "God, protect us from your followers." And besides, I really don't want to offend anyone.

After looking up the origins of "Peace Be With You" I found out that not only was this a phrase that Jesus used but it is used in almost every religion. The "stained glass" panel shows 10 icons depicting various world religions. Printed on the base is "Peace be with you" in English, Hebrew and Arabic. Collaged in the very bottom is Michelangelo's depiction of hell which is painted on the wall in the Sistine Chapel.

3 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Truly magnificent!!!!
Your attention to detail is museum quality!!!!

marianne said...

nice job. look forward to hearing that you were accepted!

Pam McKnight said...

update: Did not get accepted :(