Saturday, January 21, 2017

Process of a Collage

Much Ado About Nothing 18" x 24"



Step 1 get rid of the white of the canvas by brushing a couple different of colors around, it doesn't matter if you cover the canvas completely. 

Next I went through my stash of ephemera and started cutting, tearing and gluing, tissue paper, flowers from a birthday card, a canvas bracelet that was a gift, parts of a calendar and a business card from an art studio in Hawaii. 


Step 3: More layering of papers with addition of white paint circles and oil pastels overlapping some of the papers to give a more unified feel. The wooden bicycle was later removed... 
...when I found an old page from the Shakespeare play "Much Ado About Nothing" I was making this piece for a show titled  Love and Heartbreak. One of the quotes I used was from Beatrice, "A dear happiness to women, they would have else been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank God and my cold blood, I am of your humor for that: I would rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me."
For some three dimensionality, I took a completed small piece right off my studio wall named "button candy' and glued it at the bottom slightly to the right of center.  This piece was made with buttons and resin. Other 3D items include a miniature circus horse from my collection, a vial of glitter, a resin heart and a glass blown fish drink stirrer. 

1 comment:

bobbie said...

Wonderfully done! Thanks for breaking it down for us ~