Monday, September 9, 2013

Exhibit A

The piece of art featured in this blog post also started out from these pieces given to me to re-imagine.


This was the mixed media collage that needed finishing off. I like to use something more original than just a simple frame. If you have been following me for a while you have realized by now that  I never buy anything new for my art, so it's not like I'm going to be going to my local frame shop anytime soon.  I only use things gotten second hand, except for some glues and mediums. I even buy paint at garage sales and thrift stores.   
I had my mixed media piece cut to fit into the frame. I then sanded the existing paint and glue and took off the glitter and left it at that without painting over the design.
Here I am gluing the piece into the frame with weights to hold it down.

To fill in the space on top and bottom I poured white glue and spread it out with an old credit card. I then added beads and buttons and some old jewelry parts and filled in the spaces around them with sand from glass beach in Kauai that contains more glass, porcelain, coral and pottery than sand.  When that dried I poured Mod Podge Dimensional Magic on top.

Exhibit A 15" x 15" Mixed Media $250
The title to the piece came from the theme of the collage of A's.  Contained within the collage is an image of an Ant, the words Amaze, Adventure, Adore, Africa, an ace of spades and a vintage dictionary page of A's.

1 comment:

Rebeca Trevino said...

nicely done!
i like the title, too!