Sunday, May 13, 2012

Honoring People and Objects

This seems to be an on going theme through my work right now: honoring people and objects  I receive from others.  At Art Fest I received a lot of "Artist Trades" and I am using them in my art. I don't want to just shove the stuff in a drawer to save, as I would have done in the past. I want to use them  in a work of art and in some instances "honor" it. Or in other words show it off, protect it and give it a "home."

 Inside this art work is a piece of original parchment from 1775 from England. 

the only words I can make out on this are, "in the"


Laura Lee Rose from Feather Fantasies.com gave me a feather tied to a crystal. When I looked up her website I was blown away. I thought it would be some new age crystals and feathers thing or boudoir type items but she makes stunning museum quality artwork that uses brilliant naturally colored feathers to make life-size human figures and masks! Very impressive.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the feather. I was thinking a Native American theme. And then I came across this article in the May 2010 National Geographic about Mexico's Shocking New Saints. This guardian of the most defenseless and worst of sinners, La Santa Muerte, Holy Death.

front of tin with door, stones, feather and crystal, wood, prayer coin. Under the door are the words " There are those who have mourned your passing with many a tear."

I grew up in New Jersey of Catholic, Italian descent but I have a connection to Mexico because at the age of 14 my parents relocated to the border of Mexico in far south Texas. I went to McAllen High School it was 80 percent Hispanic. Kids asked me what country I came from. I learned to speak Spanish even joining the Spanish Honor Society and made a lot of Mexican-American friends. I'll never forget my senior year of high school one of my friends heard my Anglo last name for the first time and declared, " What!!??, I thought you were one of us!!" That made me feel proud that I had blended in so well.

inside of tin

One of the reasons we moved there was because of a book, "Safe Places West" this was 1974, and the border of Mexico at that time, in that area- was virtually crime free.

collage and red paint on back of tin
Now the violence on the border as well as in the interior of Mexico is all too well known. This little piece of art is my acknowledgement and prayer for safer times for all in the near future.

some of the cards and ephemera from ArtFest 2012

5 comments:

Rebeca Trevino said...

these are great stories Pam!
love LA SANTA MUERTE.

and your story about mcallen texas, very kool.

i agree with you about using the 'stuff' you are given. why save it? honor it!

great post!

jasperandblue said...

I love that you are using some of your artfest trades..... Love your work.

valley jewelers said...

I really thankful to you for this great read!! You did a very great job, keep it up.

Peggy Meckling said...

Nice piece. The fact that you've used these pieces to honor your memories and honor the other artist who contributed to it makes it so much more meaningful. Thanks for sharing. I'm your latest follower. I found you through Funky Junk Interiors.

Pam McKnight said...

thanks all for your great comments!